Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pick of the week: "A pocket full of sweet and bitterness"

Every week from now on, I am going to write about some art pieces or writing that I find inspiring. This will bring myself and readers closer to the inner depth of my artistic inspirations, as well as help me improve myself and nurture my flaming passion for visual art and literature . Like the Bible says: 

"Turn your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. 
Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding.
Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures."
(Proverbs, 2:2 to 2:4)

    a true artist will always opne his mind and heart to beauties and whatever it is going on around us. We are stuck for ideas only when we stop observing around and searching for inspirations that are all surrounding us.

Anyway, here are some of this week's inspirational pieces:

Self portrait by Delacroix, 1837
1) Quote: “It's a cruel thing in this sad world that one cannot enjoy happiness without, by contrast, experiencing some painful feeling. In this way one spends the whole of one life's possessing nothing completely, and in perpetual pursuit of a stability which is beyond man's reach.” 

This quote by Delacroix simply summarizes what I have been experiencing in life in order to find deeper inspirations. I have been requested to take some medicine which might help balance my moods and control my anxiety during menstruation as well as my final teenage year, yet I refused it. I want to “taste” life the way I am facing it- bitterness and sweetness mingled with each other. I don't want to run away from reality, from my 'constantly unstable mood', or from any inhibitions that sets boundaries for reaching happiness. This way, once happiness truly knocks on my door (in every single way, even in the simplest way like receiving some flowers from a friend), I can cherish it with all the most cheerful notes in my heart. I will enjoy that moment better after undergoing certain pressures or womanly downhill emotions.

After all, an artist isn't just someone creating or enhancing beauties in life, but who reflects life the way it is. Even if I could stay away from these painful emotions in life, my artistic skills would go down with my withering heart as well. It's difficult to be human, nonetheless, it is beautiful to live through life as an artist – tasting and sharing your life to others in every single way.

"I think the happiest man is he whose soul is well filled and whose mind is occupied. The soul indeed is forever reaching out, unsatisfied, longing for objects as boundless as itself: but its enjoyment are all sweeter...” (Eugene Delacroix's letter to Felix Guillemardet, translated by Jean Stewart)


2) Film: Closer (2004)
A charming as well as dramatic montage about two dangling relationships; it will give you goosebumps about the realistic aspects and bitterness throughout the film. I have always loved Mike Nichols's intelligent execution in film making, especially with impressive angles and evocative dialogues, and Closer did not let me down.

Beautifully filmed, memorable performances given by Jude Law, Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts and Clive Owen – it captures life so real it hurts. I fell in love with Natalie's eyes in this movie, and her tears just fill up the whole atmosphere with grief and sympathy. Oh, as if you had no choice? There's a moment, there's always a moment, "I can do this, I can give into this, or I can resist it", and I don't know when your moment was, but I bet you there was one.”, her line after her boyfriend confessed     cheating on her just gave me goosebumps from head to  toes.

Another memorable line from the film: “Not everyone wants to be happy. Depressives don't. They want to be unhappy to confirm they're depressed. If they were happy they couldn't be depressed anymore. They'd have to go out into the world and live. Which can be even more depressing.”

3) Music: A treat for everyone, a lovely soundtrack of the movie Somersualt (2004) performed by Lenka:



PS. A piece from my sketchbook work, just a simple fashion illustration, in which I explored the use of newspaper for the peplum dress. The idea is originally inspired by Jennifer Tran (a Vietnamese girl, who also comes from my homeland!) wearing her handmade newspaper dress when visiting the Newseum, which made herself the headline in US that day. About the tomboy look with a purple hair, hmm, must say I was haunted by Natalie Portman's role in Closer - well, guess I have to 'ease my poison' into drawing :)

  
            Enjoy your weekend everyone! And don't forget to live your life and be creative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment